Considered as the most difficult and technical long-distance walk of Europe, the GR20 attracts walkers from all over the world looking for a challenge.
This two week guided trek, shows you the best that the Corsican mountains has to offer. Open to individuals travelling alone or anyone wanting to join a guided group.
Your day by day program
We will meet in the morning in Ajaccio before transferring to the col de Bavella. We will take the alpine route to cross the famous needles of Bavella (an impressive area of mountains where the tops of the mountains have a serrated edge, known as the needles). Night in the refuge d’Asinao.
Roughly 5 hours of walking. +700m; -380m.
In the morning we will climb mount Incudine (2134m). We will then cross the plateau du Cuscione where in the distance you will be able to see the Gulf of Ajaccio. The relief becomes easier and on the plateau we will find the shepherd’s huts of Croce. Night at the Bergerie (shepherd’s huts). Roughly 5h30 of walking. +850m, -650m.
Today we walk on along the edge of a ridge, between blocks of granite which have been shaped by the wind. In the background we have a stunning view of the Tyrrhenian sea. Night in a refuge. About 4h30 of walking. +540m, -140m.
We continue with our progression towards the north via a high route in amongst the mountain peaks and along the ridge which separates the oriental plain from the valley of Taravu. Night in a gite at the Col de Verde.
Roughly 7 hours of walking. +790m, -1210m.
After crossing through the beech forest of Marmano, we will reach the ‘Plateau des Pozzi’, where we can visit a local shepherd’s place which is still active. You can also meet with the local shepherd. Night in a gite at Capanelle.
Roughly 6 hours of walking. +1000m, -700m.
Today we have the opportunity to climb Monte Renoso, the highest summit in the south of Corsica at 2352m. Return to the gite via the lake of Bastani. Night in the gite at Capanelle.
5 hours of walking. +/- 760m.
We follow an ancient mule track, which brings us to the Col de Palmente (1640m). The oriental (east) coast offers us a vast panorama including over the ‘les étangs de Diana et d'Urbinu’ (two lagoons). We will descend through the beech forest of Vizzavona. Night in a gite in the Col. Roughly 5 hours of walking. +220m, -890m.
Transfer to the hamlet of Canaglia where we begin our trek along a superb mountain stream with natural pools. We climb to the heart of the valley of Manganellu until reaching the refuge (1840 m). Night in a tent or at the refuge. 5h00 of walking. + 1200m.
By the col (mountain pass) on the high route, you will discover the lakes of Restonica, under the watchful eyes of Monte Ritondu. You will climb to the breach of Capitello before descending to the refuge of Manganu. Night in a tent.
6 hours of walking. + 765m, -1005m.
Set in the middle of short green turf, the famous lake Ninu is stunningly offset with a backdrop of mountains. We traverse a labyrinth of small blue ponds (or pozzines) surrounded by a bright green natural lawn.
We start our descent where we discover in the far distance, the gulf of Sagone. At the Col de Saint Antoine, we walk through the heart of a conifer forest before reaching Verghio.
5h30 of walk, + 400m, -600m. Night in a lodge.
We will climb to the refuge of Ciuttolu di i Mori (1990 m). At the col de Foggiale we descend on a rocky path to the sheep-folds of Vallone.
You will need to carry the belongings you need for the night as you won’t have access to your main bag.
Night in a tent, evening meal at the auberge.
6 hours of walking, +760m, -720m.
We will pass the refuge of Tighjettu before climbing to the variant of the Cirque de la Solitude (closed because of the accident in June 2015), Bocca Crucetta and then the Pointe des Eboulis (2607 m).
Night and evening meal in a lodge at Haut Asco.
Altitude gain & loss: +900m, -650m
By the Bocca di Stagnu, at the foot of Punta A Muvrella (2148 m), we leave the valley of Ascu to arrive in the forest of Bonifatu. We will pass the lake of Muvrella and the footbridge of Spasimata.
We will stop at the refuge of Carrozzu, before crossing a splendid forest of
pines and of birches to the forest house of Bonifatu.
7 hours of walking +730m, - 1610m.
A last epic day on the GR20, you will end your day with wonderful views of Calvi's bay.
A transfer by bus is provided to Calvi.
7h30 of walking +1000m, - 1250m.
See the dates for departure.
|25 June 2022||08 July 2022||1560 €||Closed|
|02 July 2022||15 July 2022||1560 €||Closed|
|16 July 2022||29 July 2022||1560 €||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|21 July 2022||03 August 2022||1560 €||Closed|
|06 August 2022||19 August 2022||1560 €||Guaranteed departure||Book|
|27 August 2022||09 September 2022||1560 €||6 more persons required||Book|
|03 September 2022||16 September 2022||1560 €||6 more persons required||Book|
- Ajaccio. Meet at the bus and maritime station reception hall at 8h00 on day 1. Our team will then take care of your main luggage. Be ready and prepared for the first walk.
- Calvi (the walk should finish around 17h00 at Calenzana, return to Calvi around 17h45).
- Accommodation is provided in the way of tents (matresses provided) and in refuges (dormitories).
- You need to be used to trekking in the mountains. Average 6-7 hours of hiking per day (averaging +/-500m) on sometimes difficult trails.
- You will have access to your main bag on the following evenings: 2,4,5,6, 10,12 and 13. You will need to carry a day sack with enough items for a few days at a time on days 1-2, 3-4, 8-10, 11-12. On days 5, 6, 7, 13 and 14 you only need to carry a day sack.
- From the point at which the tour meets, the transfers (8 stages on 13), full board, the assistance of a mountain guide (french speaking with some knowledge of english), luggage assistance as described.
- Transfers not mentioned in this program, including transfers before the meeting point and after the point of dispersal, also transfers for example, in cases of bad weather or physical ailments, entrance fees to sites, optional activities, drinks and holiday insurance.