This region is ideal for riders that are hoping to do some serious, yet relaxed cycling. You will experience many different towns in the Beaujolais region, each with its own beauty and charm. Stop and picnic in the shade of a castle, or take a break and do a wine tasting. It’s the beauty of self-guided tours: the choice is up to you!
Your day by day program
Arrive in Mâcon. Transfer to Crêches-sur-Saône. Loop from Crêches. In Macon, we'll greet you at the train station and escort you to your lodgings at your ivy-draped 3-star property in Crêches-sur-Saône. After checking into your hotel, we will outfit you with your bikes and meticulously go over every itinerary detail before pointing you on your merry way. You'll follow a route that winds through a scenic landscape checkered with vineyards such as Saint-Verand and Pouilly-Fuisse.
About 67km and 1315m of elevation gain.
Today your route will pass by the Solutré rock formation, famous as a prehistoric site of the eponymous Solutrean Paleolithic culture. Next, you will ride through the different landscapes and places that inspired the writing of Lamartine, the 19th century poet. Continuing on your adventure, you will eventually arrive in Cluny, where you will find the Abbey of Cluny. Built in 910, it is a towering monument to Romanesque architecture and church history. The rest of your ride to Belleville will take you through the world-famous vineyards of Julienas, Saint-Amour, and Fleurie. Feel free to take a short break and sample some of their varieties of wine!
About 71km and 1500m of elevation gain.
Are you ready for a day of rewarding climbs through the Beaujolais Vert (Green Beaujolais) and its picturesque villages? If so, you won't be disappointed! Today you will head to the "Terrasse d'Avenas" a beautiful area that offers superb panorama views of the entire Beaujolais region. From here you’ll be able to see not only the Beaujolais region, but also the Lyonnais region (Lyon), and further away the impressive French Alps with the towering Mont-Blanc. Once you're back at the hotel, feel free to relax and enjoy some of the Beaujolais rouge.
About 71km and 1350m of elevation gain.
Today's itinerary will take you through the "Moulin a Vent" vineyards and Romaneche where Georges Duboeuf's Museum of Wine is located. If you want, take a break and check it out! If you decide you’d rather keep riding, it’s A-Okay! Either way, the decision is yours. That’s the wonderful thing about self-guided tours; you enjoy complete autonomy in deciding which sites to pass on and which sites to admire.
About 53km and 1265m of elevation gain.
Your last day's ride will take you through "Les Pierres Dorees" and its magnificent villages made of these "golden stones" before riding back through some vineyards of the southernmost part of Burgundy. Buy a bottle of wine (or two) to bring home and share with your friends and family. Or take a last couple of pictures to share with your neighbors, the choice is yours. With three different length rides to choose from, you can go as long as you want, as hard as you want. It’s the perfect end to your cycling in Beaujolais adventure!
Around 29/37 or 69km depending on the option.
800m/1000m or 1735m of elevation gain.
After breakfast, take your time and prepare for the next part of your adventure and your transfer to Lyon.
Starts any day from April to October
- At the train station in Macon.
- At the train station in Lyon after the transfer.
- 2 nights in an authentic guesthouse, 2 nights in a 3-star hotel & 1 night in a 4-star hotel. All in double room.
- Based on 2 people in double room
- Moderate to difficult: 5 or 6 hours of biking on various terrain. Between 50 and 70 miles daily for a road tour.
- Luggage transfers by vehicle. You only need to take your day bag with you (for picnics, cameras etc.).
- Hybrid bike rental : 80€
- Carbon bike rental : 170€
- Drop off fees (per bike) : 20€
- supplement for single accommodation : 300€
- - 5 nights’ accommodation
- - Daily breakfast
- - 4 dinners (drinks are not included)
- - Meeting with our local representative
- - Luggage transfers
- - Transfer from Mâcon to Crêches-sur-Saône (on Day 1)
- - Transfer from Vaux-en-Beaujolais to Lyon (on Day 6)
- - Marked maps and/or cue sheets and route notes
- - Pre-loaded GPS unit (subject to availability)
- - Assistance if necessary
- - All tax and service charges
- - Transportation to Macon and from Lyon
- - Expenses of personal nature
- - Travel insurance
- - Bicycle rentals