The Mare a Mare North, is one of our favourite walking tours in Corsica. Your holiday begins in Corte, at the very heart of the island and ends in the outstandingly beautiful Gulf of Porto. You will cross the region of Niolu with its pretty villages. En route there will be opportunities to bathe in the numerous crystal clear rock pools, as you make your way across mountain rivers. Your trek finishes in Piana, an area on the coast of exceptional beauty. The Calanque of Piana has been named a UNESCO world heritage site.
Your day by day program
The point of departure for your trip is the city of Corte, in the centre of Corsica. Take your time to discover the citadelle, perched high upon a rocky crag, a defiant spectacle of Corsican patriotism. Visit the Museu di a Corsica, which charts the fascinating and turbulent history of the island, as well as spend time wandering about the many shops, cafes and restaurants.
Night in a hotel in Corte.
Leaving the centre of Corte, head up the Tavignano gorge which offers fantastic views back down towards Corte. After crossing the Tavignano river, you will have your first opportunity to bathe in the waters. Continue up the gorge and into the pine forests towards the refuge, where you will find some incredible pools for swimming, if you can brave the cool mountain waters!
Approximately 5 hours 30 minutes of walking.+980m,-484m
Today, you will walk to Calacuccia, a village in the heart of the central region of Niolu.
This is a day for admiring the mountains and enjoying exceptional views. Calacuccia itself, is located high on a south facing slope at the head of the valley, with the Cinto Massif looming behind and the Calacuccia lake stretching out below.
Approximately 4 hours of walking.+ 518 m;-869 m.
After crossing the Niolu region you will reach the Col de Vergio, an old ski resort. The surrounding forest and the panoramic views will help to make the ascent more agreeable!
Approximately 6 hours of walking.+ 900 m ;- 554 m.
After the Col, you will descend through a chestnut forest. This trek takes you through the mountain village of Evisa, the chestnut capital of Corsica. Corsica is famous for its chestnuts, which are used to make local foodstuffs including flour, cake and beer! From Evisa, it is a fantastic walk, descending down into the Spelunca gorge through dense forests of chestnut and holm oak, where you will walk on tracks and bridges constructed by the Genoese, before heading back up to Ota.
Approximately 6h20 mins.+600m; -1500m.
Following an ancient mule track, this path leads you to the Calanques of Piana, classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. En route you will have several exceptional views of the Gulf of Porto.
Night in Piana
Approximately 5 hours of walking.+ 950m;- 800m.
The trip ends after your breakfast in Piana.
You can choose your departure date, any day from the beginning of May through to the end of September.
- Piana, after breakfast.
- 4 nights in gîte d’étape (dormitories), 2 nights in hotel.
- Minimum two.
- This Classical Corsican trail uses very well marked paths. It is recommended that you are in good health for this trip. From 5 to 6 hours 30 mins walking per day.
- Your main bag will be transferred by vehicle every day, except for day 2, as the refuge cannot be reached by road. On this night you will not have access to your main bag and so on that day you should carry with you anything you may need. For the rest of the trek you just need to carry your personal belongings (camera, wallet etc) and your picnic for the day.
- 3 breakfasts, 2 dinners, 2 picnic lunches
- 4 nights in gîtes (dormitories and shared bathroom)
- 2 nights in hotel
- Local assistance
- Route notes and maps on our app (a smartphone is required)
- Luggage transfers (except on day 2 - no road access)
- Transport to the meeting point and after the end of the tour
- Any transfers not mentioned in the programme
- Drinks and not included meals
- Personal spending money
Mare a Mare North: Scala di A Santa Regina - Piana
Corsica - Independent walking - 8 days / 7 nights