Far from the crowds, come and discover the natural wonders of la Provence: olive groves, fruit trees and wine! During your stay you’ll go from the beauty and history of Avignon, to the orchards of Provence, the base of the Mont Ventoux and onto the heart of Chateauneuf du Pape and its world-famous Côtes-du-Rhône wines… Gigondas, Vacqueyras, Beaumes de Venise, Séguret.
Your day by day program
Arrival on your own in the town of Avignon, city of the popes: the largest gothic palace in Europe, built in the 14th century during the reign of the papacy. Stroll in the old city walls, still intact after 700 years, forming a complete circle around the centre of town.
Dinner on your own and night in the heart of Avignon.
From Avignon, you take a little known cycle path, following a river and out of the city. A short climb takes you up to the village of Jonquerettes before heading back down to the valley and reaching the pretty town of l’Isle sur la Sorgue. We recommend a lunch in l’Isle, either a picnic on the grass by the quays or perhaps a quaint restaurant in town. From here you head into the heart of the countryside, and make your way up to Venasque, listed as « one of the most beautiful villages in France ».
Dinner on your own and night at your hotel in Venasque.
About 43km - +430m / -200m
Picturesque countryside follows you all day long, towards the foot of Mont Ventoux, through an endless stream of vineyards, olive groves, truffle oak and cherry orchards. Along seldom-used country roads you pedal off the beaten-track and through the hidden villages of Méthamis, Villes-sur-Auzon, and Flassan.
Option: The more sporty riders can take a detour to see the plunging cliffs of the Nesque Gorge: a narrow and winding road that hovers above the canyon, with stunning views and lots of picnic opportunities. Continuing along the foot of Mont Ventoux you enter the town of Bédoin, famed Tour de France village and with a quaint market.
Dinner and night at your hotel in Bédoin.
About 30km - +450m/-400m or 70km via the Nesque Gorge - +1120m/-1040m
Today is a longer bike ride but worth the efforts. Travelling through the most prestigious winemaking villages in the southern Rhône Valley – most notably Vacqueyras (reds) and Beaumes de Venise (sweet muscat whites) – you’ll have the chance to bathe (not literally we’d hope!) in a sea of vines, with lots of wine-tasting opportunities along the way.
Option in Vacqueyras: A walking wine trail through the vineyards of Vacqueyras (8km, easy walking)
You hit the plains before climbing slightly to Chateauneuf du Pape, the ruins of its castle standing proudly atop parcels of old gnarled vines, and covered by their blanket of smooth red stones.
Dinner on your own and night at your hotel in Chateauneuf du Pape.
About 45km - +380m/- 620 m
You pedal back towards the Rhône River, first through a succession of quaint villages. Through farmers’ fields and small country roads, you’ll pass old farmhouses and orchards of all kinds. Heading westward the landscapes slope gently upwards. You are led to France's most reputed vineyards destined for rosé wines: the village of Tavel. This prestigious appellation is the only rosé wine to be found on the wine lists of every Michelin 3* restaurant in France. The wineries around Tavel are worth a visit, offering a friendly welcome and their palate of rosés and only rosés, as no other wines are allowed under their appellation rules. You continue east through the Barthelasse island, two branches of the Rhône framing a paradise of country lanes and orchards of all kinds, to end in Avignon.
Dinner on your own and night at your hotel in Avignon.
About 45km - +350m/-350m
End of the trip after breakfast.
Daily from March 1st to November 15th
- At the 1st hotel in Avignon, day 1
- In Avignon after breakfast, day 6
- 5 nights double occupancy with private facilities in **/*** hotels and guest houses.
- 2 people minimum
- Level 2: medium cycling 30km to 45km per day on small roads and tracks. Accessible to all persons who cycles during the year.
- Luggage transfers days 2 to 5 - Vehicule up to 4 pax
- Reduction per person for a low season departure (from 01/03 to 30/03 and from 01/10 to 15/11) : -50€
- Single room supplement : 310€
- Single room supplement for a low season departure (from 01/03 to 30/03 and from 01/10 to 15/11) : 285€
- E-Bike supplement : 80€
- Carbon bike supplement : 80€
- SOLO TRAVELLER supplement : 625€
- SOLO TRAVELLER supplement for a low season departure (from 01/03 to 30/03 and from 01/10 to 15/11) : 550€
- 5 nights double occupancy with private facilities in **/*** hotels and guest houses
- 5 breakfasts
- Dinner on day 3
- Luggage transfers days 2 to 5
- 4 days of hybrid bike rental. Carbon bikes and E-bike available on request.
- Our Road Book with detailed cycling itineraries, and integrated maps.
- Transportation to/from Avignon
- Lunches & dinners not in the itinerary
- Drinks, entrance fees into museums, insurance, items of personal nature.