This Mountain Bike Cycling Tour will take you to one of the nicest areas of the Carpathian Mountains, the massive of Piatra Craiului. This massive harbours many rare animal and plant species. You’ll also encounter scattered beautiful villages with a patriarchal atmosphere that will provide a wonderful contrast to the mountainous wilderness. In these environments, the presence of human settlements has not disturbed the original landscape and ecosystems.
The massive of Piatra Craiului is the longest limestone mountain range of Romania. It is also the paradise of the wild fauna and flora. The plenitude of nature and its vitality have allowed here the survival of animals and plants that disappeared in other parts of Europe. This adventure in the Piatra Craiului National park, right in the middle of pastures, sheepfolds and forests, will most definitely impress you!
Your day by day program
Your adventure will begin in Bucharest. Optionally, we will brief you at the North Train Station. You will embark on a train to Brasov. Once you arrived in Brasov, you will get a second train, this time to Zarnesti. Accommodation and dinner in a lovely guesthouse.
A small trip outside this pastoral world to visit Bran Castle, also known as Dracula's castle. Built in the 14th century Bran castle has always had a defensive role against the migratory peoples. It even greatly helped in protecting Transylvania from the Ottoman invasions. Night in a traditional village in Piatra Craiului’s mountains.
Breakfast, packed lunch, dinner included ~34km, +450m, -250m
Today you continue the ride at the feet of the Piatra Craiului Mountains in this bucolic landscape in the middle of pastures, sheepfolds, and woods. You will cross scattered villages which lost in time. You will discover stunning landscapes along the way. Night in a lovely guesthouse in an authentic village at the foot of Bucegi Mountains.
Breakfast, packed lunch, dinner included ~ 28km, +400m, -600m
Ride through the Zarnesti Gorges to the lovely Curmatura Hut. These Gorges have been nicknamed by the locals "The Abysses". They present vertical walls of 200m and display wonderful colors of an extraordinary variety (especially during autumn). The end of the day will bring you back in the little town where you started from. You will once again enjoy the delightful views of the surrounding mountains' crests. Dinner and accommodation at the same guesthouse as in day one.
Breakfast, packed lunch, dinner included ~ 37km, +650m, -750m
Departure after breakfast. Train to Brasov then Bucharest. End of the trip. Breakfast included.
From April to the end of October.
- Bucharest train station.
- Bucharest train station.
- 4 night in guest-houses in double occupancy with private facilities.
- Minimum of 2 people.
- Requires a medium level. Maximum of 37 km a day and 750 m of positive change in altitude. 2 single-tracks.
- The transfer of your luggage is ensured. You only have to carry your things needed for the day (picnic, camera...)
- MTB rental : 80€
- Single traveller supplement : 150€
- Single room supplement (based on a group of at least 2) : 60€
- D1/5 Private transfer from Bucharest OTP Airport to Bucharest train station or center or vice versa (base 1-3 pax, one way) : 30€
- D1/5 Private transfer from Bucharest OTP Airport to Zarnesti or vice versa (base 1-3 pax, one way) : 150€
- D1/5 Private transfer from Bucharest center to Zarnesti or vice versa (base 1-3 pax, one way) : 170€
- Welcome and briefing at Bucharest North station (per departure) : 35€
- 4 breakfasts, 3 packed lunches and 4 dinners
- transfers - Day 1 and 5 Bucharest/Piatra Craiului and Bucegi/Bucharest about 3 hours and a half by train
- Luggage transfer
- Permanently reachable local assistance
- Transfer to the meeting point and transfer from the drop off point (Bucharest train station)
- The insurances
- Drinks other than water
- Personal expenses
- Bike Rental