Transylvania is a hilly area surrounded by the Carpathian Mountains that always knew how to protect its mysteries. Your trip will take you in this bastion loaded with history (where Romanians, Hungarians and Saxons live together) on the route of the Saxon citadels, registered as UNESCO world heritage sites. As one of the unforgettable spots of this civilization, the city of Sibiu (Hermannstadt), founded by Saxons, was elected European capital of culture in 2007.
You will also discover the villages perched on the trays of the Carpathian Mountains which have kept until our days a pastoral life in perfect harmony with the wild nature of the surroundings. This walk & drive tour will give you the possibility to have a vision of the whole Transylvania and to truly discover this fascinating world during the hikes.
Your day by day program
You will get your rental car and begin your journey towards Transylvania. Depending on your arrival time you could have a stop to see the romantic Castle of Peles, a dreamy architectural jewel which served as a holiday home for the Romanian Monarchs. You will spend the evening in a traditional guesthouse, in a heavenly mountain village. Dinner included.
Today you will pack up and have a short transfer with your rented car (15m) to a mountain landmark. From here on, you will have a beautiful trek in the Piatra Craiului Mountains (" the Prince’s Stone" in Romanian). Passing by the 200m high vertical walls of the Zarnesti gorges which are very beautifully coloured, you will head to the Curmatura hut, a traditional mountain hut where you will enjoy a tasty lunch. You will continue your circling trek back to where you left your car head to your next accommodation in another lovely Romanian village at the base of the Bucegi mountains. Breakfast, packed lunch and dinner included. (around 5 h, +/- 650m)
Today after breakfast you will enjoy a splendid hike into the Bucegi Mountains through secular forests and an amazing scenery. A longer walk is possible along the meadow of Gutanu and the vertical walls of the Bucegi’s ridge, who will offer you beautiful landscape and view over Piatra Craiului ridge. Make sure to have your camera ready as there will be plenty of use for it today! Breakfast, packed lunch and dinner included. (around 6h, 18 km, +650m, -900 or a shorter one, around 4h30)
Today you take the car to visit one of the most beautiful preserved medieval citadels of Europe, Sighisoara. On your way, according to your preference you could stop to visit the infamous Dracula’s castle, as well as in Brașov (unless you return to Bucharest Airport at the end and epdn the last night in Brașov). You will then continue towards one of Transylvania’s traditional "pearls" - Viscri’s fortified church - which has just celebrated its 700th anniversary - and its lovely authentic village. You will spend the end of the day in the medieval city of Sighisoara. Every tower of the citadel was managed by a guild of craftsmen. The tower of the dressmakers is a real masterpiece of medieval architecture. Night in a charming 3-star hotel in the centre of the citadel. Breakfast and packed lunch included.
Today you will leave Sighisoara to visit Sibiu, which was chosen to be the European capital of culture in 2007. This town is representative for the Transylvanian Saxon culture. On your way you can stop to see a splendid fortified church in Biertan, home to many legends and a rich cultural heritage. You will spend the evening in a charming guesthouse in Sibiu. Breakfast included.
This morning you can continue the visit of Sibiu (maybe with the recommended Astra Folk Technology Museum in Dumbrava Forest). Then you can have a splendid drive up across Fagaras Mountains, along the Transfagarasan Road. You will spend the evening in a mountain lodge up in the Fagaras mountains. Breakfast included.
Starting driving down the Transfăgărășan, you will contour the great Vidraru Reservoir, then reach Curtea de Argeș with its fine monastery. After the visit you will drive to Bucharest, return the car and stay overnight at the Bucharest Hilton Airport Hotel. Breakfast included at the mountain lodge (for the following day no breakfast, given the early morning departure).
Today after breakfast you will give back your car and your holiday with us will have finished.
All year, subject to availability of accommodation, response within 48 hours, Monday to Friday.
- Bucharest airport or train station.
- Bucharest airport or train station.
- - Double occupancy with private facilities.
- 1 night in Magura in a traditional guesthouse
- 2 nights in Moieciu in a traditional guesthouse
- 1 night in Sighisoara in a charming 3* hotel inside the citadel
- 1 night in Sibiel in a traditional guesthouse
- 1 night in Balea or Brasov (According to the season) either a traditional mountain cabin or a 2* central époque hotel in Brasov
- 1 night in Bucharest in a 3* central hotel
OR equivalent boarding house/hotel nearby.
Exceptionally, there are shared facilities.
- Minimum of 2 people.
- Requires a medium fitness level. Maximum of 5h walking a day. 3 days of hiking.
- You will take your own baggage in the rented car.
- Single supplement : 115€
- Technical description of the itinerary, map with itinerary traced out, contact listing, technical sheet, and vouchers. Our Road Book includes restaurants, museums, craftsmen, ATM addresses and a 24-hour emergency phone number.
- Meals ( 7 breakfasts, 4 picnics (plus 1 more on day 7- if you stay in Balea mountain cabin if the weather allows) and 4 dinners (plus an additional one if you stay in Balea mountain cabin on day 6). Dinner: 3-course menu with several choices - entrée, main dish, and a dessert. Occasionally dinner is a 2-course meal.
- Rental vehicle - possible through us
- Drinks and meals not mentioned
- Cultural visits and optional activities
- Personal expenses & souvenirs
- Air Transport